GCBC Family Meeting - Financial Update (Feb 28, 2021)
2 Corinthians 9:6-12 "The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written, "He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever." He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God."
Sunday night, the Elders gave a church family financial update. There are many praises, and many prayer requests, and opportunities for us to grow in our generosity for the sake of ministry expansion! We want to shepherd our church well in this area, and are grateful for the dear servants that Lord uses to assist our church in stewarding the resources that He has entrusted to us (we are especially thankful for Dave Palm, our church treasurer).
Here's a quote from one of our Elders, Steve Gish, as he shepherded us through this conversation, that expresses well our heart for our church in this area:
"We want you to love Christ's church, pursue excellence, and follow the heart of the church's leader...Jesus Christ. This isn't about money, this is about a heart condition." - Steve Gish
See below for the audio and video of this portion of our night:
BELOW IS FROM OUR MOST RECENT FINANCIAL REPORT WITH MORE ON THE HISTORY STEVE MENTIONS (THIS FOLDER WITH DETAILS IS AVAILABLE IN THE LOBBY)
Here are some key points for our prayer and consideration:
- God, who is ever faithful, showed in 2020 that he is GOOD and that we need not be afraid of viruses, financial impacts of shutdowns, or governmental decisions.
- GCBC recent finance history - over the course of the last several years there was a trend of reduced giving and negative net income (diminishing 90K of savings over those years). Some of this relates to what Pastor Phil shared last week: since 2017 almost 100 from GCBC have left California and another 30 went to heaven (the best move!), in addition to some who moved on to other churches for other reasons.
- With this trend, we were concerned when churches and the economy shut down in March 2020. But to God's glory, April 2020 was the highest giving April in the last 10 years!!! And May was the second highest in the last 10 years! Praise God for His sustaining love and mercy which He exercised through you and your giving during this!
- Designated giving for our benevolence fund also grew compared to previous years.
- The negative net income trend has improved and come closer to break even but this includes less staff than before (with Pastor Cliff's stepping away from his office staff role in summer 2020 while serving as an elder). Other months have been less but overall we thank the Lord that this year actually helped us rebound financially.
- So this is a praise for God's provision and also a prayer request is for God's future provision for more pastoral staff help (we can't afford more staff at this point but see a need for at least a part-time pastoral assistant soon)
Also some encouraging news with regard to weekly attendance
- Christ continues to build His church!
- In 2017 our attendance averaged around or over 300
- After COVID, we initially regathered with under 200 but have continued to grow (including many new people). Last week we had 287 people here, today we had 296 in person (with + 30 online live), higher than we had before COVID!
- The new membership class has pretty much filled Phil’s office
- Our new attendee meeting luncheon last Sunday had the most people I have ever seen in one of those settings
- God is at work - many new people also means we need you to help connect and be hospitable with those the Lord is bringing
With that said, this is not just financial statement because we realize giving is more that just dollars; it is your time, your hospitality, your love and giving to one another, your support of ministries and missions all over this world.
So, with that please prayerfully examine how you support the body of Christ and especially the part of it you visit and invite your friends and family to every week of the year.
May we be found faithful in this area, for the sake of the gospel!